80 Law Dissertation Topics Sorted by Thematic Category
A dissertation is a long structured essay typically required as a final evaluation piece from students graduating from a university or college. Dissertations focus on narrow specialization related topics which aim at advancing understanding and demonstrating student’s abilities to work with information from the respective professional domain.
Law dissertations help students accumulate knowledge in a chosen field, while also demonstrating their reasoning skills, their ability to identify reliable sources, to correctly interpret contained information, to use it in elaborating and advancing knowledge in the corresponding topic. Below, we list 80 law dissertation topics categorised.
Law Dissertation Topics by Category
Finding a suitable topic might represent quite a challenge and a time-consuming step for many students. Obviously, one option is to delegate the entire dissertation to a law essay writing service UK and let them choose a topic, but normally, students want to decide themselves on their dissertation topics and this is quite understandable. Below we provide a vast topic list to select from.
EU legislation dissertation topics
- Europe’s power as legal entity in negotiating with corporations
- Evolving role of national legislation given EU supremacy
- Implications of EU international trade deals on its commercial operations
- Standardization in legislation as means to limit bureaucracy and facilitate exchanges of goods & services inside the EU
- European commercial laws – impact on neighbouring territories
- Too little too slow? – European reforms required for addressing the union’s inertness
- EU’s Eastern Partnership as means to expand legislative and democratic standards to Eastern European & Caucasian states
- Basic legal code underlying EU’s freedom of movement
- General Data Protection Regulation as great regional move towards safer Internet and greater privacy
- Scope of common taxation rules described by EU legal code – relationship between these rules and national government decisions on taxation
Criminal Law Dissertation Topics
- What does developmental psychology say with regard to the minimum age when children can serve as witnesses
- Laws preventing fraudulent behaviour in Internet gambling – are they catching up with reality?
- Are UK laws regulating online gambling relevant in a world where international casinos, VPNs, cryptocurrency are a reality?
- Should criminal legislation reconsider the need for punishment (for instance, releasing from prison murderer who committed the crime due to an adverse reaction to a prescribed drug)?
- How effective are laws treat recidivism in different countries or jurisdictions?
- Does increasing punishment severity lead to fewer crimes?
- Can criminal laws have a role in crime prevention?
- Legal implications brought by constantly improving forensics methods
- Disparity between the legal definition and ethical/cultural representation of a crime (including its relative gravity) in different cultures – is this a hindrance for international legal code?
- Role of mental states in defining legal responsibility: mental insanity, intoxication, strong emotions
Child Protection Dissertation Ideas:
- How much authority should the state have in protecting children from their parents?
- Legal definitions of child’s safety & well-being
- Do living standards in foster homes correlate positively with frequency of state intervention in families – an analysis across developed and developing nations
- Custody rights of parents with criminal background
- Laws allowing intervention within families where children suffer from extreme poverty
- Children’s rights during divorce in the UK – are they good enough?
- Evolving reluctance among parents towards physical abuse – contagious spreading around the world as reflected in laws adopted within the last decades
- Expanding definition of child abuse – are all forms of abuse reflected in current legislation?
- Exotic cultural traditions which could be considered child abuse under UK law
- Refusing vaccination as an infringement of child’s rights
Employment Law Dissertation Topics:
- Peculiarities and risks characterizing employment laws regulating remote online work (remote freelancing) across the border
- Addressing legislative problems and challenges presented by remote online employment
- Issues with employment legislation as seen by immigrants to the UK
- Impact of employment legislation regulating outsourced seasonal work
- Causes for declining membership in UK industrial unions from the ‘80s till nowadays
- Analysis of current legislative framework underlying UK trade unions
- Comparative analysis of laws regulating craft unions and labour unions
- Imagining a legislative framework for implementing universal basic income
- Loopholes in anti-discrimination laws frequently exploited by employers
- Possibility to exploit anti-discrimination laws by ill-intentioned employees
Family Law Dissertation Topics:
- Legislation allowing family reunification – similarities and differences between countries
- Are current rules regulating financial split after divorce an obstruction to the latter?
- How adultery changes legal balance of forces between two divorcing partners
- Problem of poor legal differentiation between rape and adultery in some Islamic countries
- A review of laws regulating same-sex marriages across western countries
- Differences in domestic violence laws throughout the world
- Family legislation conflicting mostly with traditions of local UK religious and cultural minorities
- Legal implications of cohabitation – are there any issues or imbalances?
- Role of empirical evidence for shaping the current landscape in UK family legislation.
- Property inheritance rights for children from previous marriages
Human Rights Dissertation Topics:
- Legal conflict between confession freedom and public order – which one has higher priority?
- Is it opportune to offer permanent residents more political rights (for instance, voting)?
- What UK legislation should be changed to remove gender inequality vestiges in society?
- Anticipated legislation evolution within conservative societies transitioning towards free universal education – lessons derived from history and geography
- How well is the UN Declaration of Human Rights reflected in other countries legislation?
- Contemplating legal code system which would make direct Internet democracy possible
- How social security rights in UK compare to those in Scandinavian countries
- How does poor legislation or poor implementation of intellectual property rights lead to talent migration?
- Key legal code required to ensure social and professional integration of people with disabilities
- Laws required to facilitate integration of Syrian refugees in EU countries.
Medical Law Dissertation Topics:
- Aspects of dealing with non-implanted embryos after in vitro fertilization
- Surrogacy legislation – an overview across nations
- Rights of surrogate mothers
- Legal provisions essential for establishing relationships between organ donors and receivers
- An evaluation of the current decision system used to establish whether a person should be turned off from a life support machine
- Evaluating medical tourism caused by restrictive medical legislation in certain jurisdictions?
- Euthanasia legalization worldwide – is it accelerated by the phenomenon of euthanasia tourism?
- Comparative analysis of forced sterilization laws for males accused of sexual offences in different countries
- Legal procedures for distinguishing between medical mistakes and incompetence/ recklessness
- Legal dilemma when unconscious patients receiving life-saving medical assistance later attack medical institutions in court invoking cultural, religious, or personal beliefs prohibiting such procedures (e.g. blood transfusion)
Terrorism Dissertation Ideas
- Domains of economy or social life typically affected by terrorism prevention laws
- Transportation regulation legal code for terrorism control
- Usefulness of international agreements and cooperation in tracing and dealing with terrorism on a global level
- Laws regulating hazardous substances which could be used in terrorist acts
- Why functional legislation is needed even for emerging terrorist threats, such as biological pathogens
- What legal improvements in preventing chemical terrorism should result after the Novichok neurotoxin attack in Salisbury
- How legislation regulating financial transaction transparency is essential in fighting terrorism
- How cryptocurrency enables dark market transactions including those related to terrorism
- Reviewing examples when counterterrorism legal code has been used by authoritarian regimes for restricting personal freedoms
- How to prevent legally the temptation to use counterterrorism legislation for enforcing mass surveillance
Note that you can get help with dissertation writing at any stage of the process, such as assembling a bibliographic list to draw information from, creating a detailed outline, writing the dissertation itself. If you only have a topic, our experts can start working from there. You could also get valuable dissertation conclusion help or help with writing your abstract, introduction, etc. – whichever step obstructs your progress. Needless to say, editing and proofreading are routine services provided.
Services of a Professional Level
Hopefully, law dissertation ideas listed above provided some constructive inspiration and incentive to come up with your final personalized topic. This should bring some peace of mind given that now, you can start the hard work itself. From here, you could do all the work yourself or choose our service to write my dissertation UK from scratch but with constant feedback from you. This way, both clients and writers avoid unpleasant surprises, ensure the projects goes exactly as planned and ends up with expected results of high quality.