Dissertation Conclusion: All Ins and Outs
Dissertation is the most relevant project of your education. After years of studies, writing essays, researching hundreds of sources and passing tiresome exams, you’re finally at the stage where you must show everything you’ve learned and demonstrate your knowledge along with original thinking. Students of all educational establishments, ranging from the universally known Oxford to smaller and more specific colleges like Institute of Cancer Research or Courtauld Institute of Art, are equally worried.
They focus on the body of their work but rarely think about dissertation conclusion. Due to that, this section in dissertation structure tends to be the weakest. Few people pay sufficient attention to it — they relax, thinking that the worst is already over. They are wrong. Conclusion is essential since it reflects all relevant sections your work had. More than that, it presents recommendations, so you can’t allow yourself to lessen your efforts. Learn how to write it, make it brilliant, and relax only after it’s completed.
The Point of Conclusion
As you’re wondering how to write a dissertation conclusion, the first thing you should do is understand why it must be written in the first place. It’s simple: the main purpose of this part lies in summarising your dissertation. You determine all its main points and group them together, explaining what contribution you’ve made and what it means for future studies on a similar topic. Your audience might forget some key moments after reading through an entire work, so your goal is to remind them and show why research you have conducted is relevant.
What Does the Last Dissertation Part Consist of?
There are five main elements that have to be covered. Take a look at them below. Make sure you incorporate them all since otherwise, your conclusion will be weak.
- Remind readers what your hypothesis is. Repeat it again and say whether your research supports or refutes it.
- Create a summary with findings. Don’t copy sentences from other body parts, present them in a different way. Be specific but don’t overdo it: maintaining a proper balance is essential.
- Underline the impact your study has on a researched issue. Was it relevant? How can it be used, did it establish some important revelations?
- Talk about weaknesses your dissertation might have. Maybe the sample was small or some bias was present. Be fair and look at everything objectively.
- Provide recommendations that other researchers exploring this theme could use.
If students face difficulties with completing conclusion or any other dissertation section, they can always contact dissertation help for UK students and hire professional Ph.D. writers for help.
Read also: How long is a Dissertation?
Difference Between Discussions & Conclusion
Many students are confused not only regarding how to write a conclusion for a dissertation but also in terms of its difference from discussion. True, both sections have some similarities as they deal with talk about your findings, but other than that, they serve vastly different purposes. Discussion explains the meaning of your results, relating them to your literature review and clarifying any bewildering moments. You expand on old information and present completely new insights about it. Conclusion is different as it summarises all major elements, not just findings, and it provides further research directions. So, discussion is more specific while conclusion is much wider. You evaluate your results in the former and assess as well as demonstrate the value of your work in the latter.
Length of Average Dissertation & Its Conclusion
Average length of this kind of project ranges from 40 to 100 pages. It depends on many factors, such as your subject, research design, the presence of graphs and photos, etc. Now, how long should a dissertation conclusion be? The rules are simple: it shouldn’t exceed 7% of your overall word count and it shouldn’t be less than 5%. Keep this in mind when working on it and when you buy dissertations online.
Tips on How to Successfully Conclude Your Dissertation
In addition to all above, three main tips can be given to help you achieve a great conclusion. They entail the following:
- Be concise but precise at the same time. Don’t repeat entire paragraphs of info yet make a summary clear.
- Follow a template mentioning the points that must be incorporated. Keep it close so you wouldn’t get off the track.
- Base your recommendations on limitations of research you’ve performed to turn it more relevant.
Common Mistakes to Look Out For
As you start planning how to conclude a dissertation, you have to know about mistakes lots of students make. It might help you avoid them in your own work.
- Don’t confuse conclusion with discussion. Be sure you understand which of them entails what.
- Stay within an acceptable length.
- Avoid presenting new info. It’s vital! Conclusion should be based solely in what you’ve already researched and proven.
- Refrain from engaging in speculations. All words have to be supported by previous facts, including your recommendations.
Dissertation Conclusion Example
Seeing theory is good but reading a sample is even better. Look at this short conclusion that comprises all elements that dissertation has to possess.
“In this study, the hypothesis that fiction does not affect reality 1:1 has been confirmed. Two sample groups were interviewed, including one consisting of criminals who claimed that it was fiction that pushed them to commit their crimes. After examining a decade-long evaluation of these criminals’ past, it became clear that prior to committing a crime, they already had issues with violence. The research is relevant since it proves that fiction can be a trigger but not a cause of violent behavior. Still, the limitation of a small sample group means that the results are too narrow to apply them widely. Upcoming studies should focus on examining bigger groups of criminals who blame fiction for their law violations.”
Find Help to Finish Your Work as Brightly as You Started It
Writing a dissertation conclusion is more complex than you might expect. If you are facing issues, then consider hiring a professional service. Can I pay someone to write my dissertation? UKessay has been operating for years within the academic writing market, and it specialises in dissertations in particular. Ask it for assistance and you’ll receive a perfectly crafted conclusion that reflects the essence of your project in its entirety.